The moment you’ve been waiting for has arrived: Remarketing in Bing Ads is now available! Remarketing gives you the power to do more than ever with Bing Ads data, to deliver the right ad to the right user at the best return on investment (ROI). Dozens of early users have seen great returns and we can’t wait for you to give it a try and let us know how it works for you, too.
As a new targeting enhancement to optimize your Search and Shopping campaigns, remarketing is especially fitting for advertisers looking to get the most out of the coming holiday shopping season.
What is Remarketing in Bing Ads?
Remarketing gives you a second chance to engage visitors and direct them back to your website after they’ve left. As a valuable addition to your audience targeting toolbox, remarketing gives you another avenue – and another chance – to reach your customers.
Why Use Remarketing?
When people look for products and services online, they rarely convert on their first visit. Instead we often find that people visit a site, then check out competitors and compare prices – and get distracted. Research shows that 96 percent of first time visitors leave websites without converting.1
With remarketing, you can appeal to either all or a subset of these visitors by staying top of mind, as well as upsell or cross-sell to your existing customers to drive a higher ROI. To date, advertisers have reported substantial gains in CTR, Conversion Rates and lower Cost per Acquisition.
Benefits of Remarketing
Unlike standard Search and Shopping campaigns where your bids, ads and keywords are the same for every searcher, you can now bid higher, show on a broader set of keywords, and/or target different ads to different audiences based on their past actions on your website. Since users who have been to your website are more familiar with your products and services, they are more likely to click on your ads and convert on your website, thereby increasing the ROI of your campaigns.
You can use remarketing in two ways:
1. Make bid adjustments on your ad groups for users in your remarketing lists. These bid adjustments are applied when those users search using the keywords or search for the products (in case of Shopping campaigns) you are bidding on. By bidding higher, you increase the chances of your ad showing up for these users.
2. Configure ad groups to only be triggered and show ads if a user is on your remarketing list, and is searching with the keywords or searching for the products you are bidding on. Additionally, you can also expand and customize the list of keywords or product groups you bid on for these users. You can use this option to show customized ads to users in your remarketing lists.
How to Set Up Remarketing
Getting started with remarketing is easy, and the following steps show you how. You can also visit this help page for a detailed step-by-step walk-through. The set up process is same across both Search and Shopping campaigns.
1. First, create a UET tag from Conversion Tracking > UET Tags page and install the UET tag tracking code on all pages of your website. The UET tag tracking code allows Bing Ads to collect actions people take on your website. Note that if you already have a UET tag installed on your website then you are all set.
2. Second, navigate to Shared Library > Audience page and click Add Remarketing to segment your website visitors into one or more groups (called Remarketing lists) based on pages they visited or specific actions they took on your website. For example, you can create a remarketing list for users that viewed a particular product page or for those that abandoned shopping cart. Snapshot below shows the user experience for creating new remarketing list. For example, you can create a remarketing list for users that viewed a particular product page or for those that abandoned shopping cart. Snapshot below shows the user experience for creating new remarketing list. Learn more about the various options during create.
3. After you`ve created your remarketing lists, you can adjust bids, customize ads, or select keywords for users in these lists by associating the remarketing lists with ad groups. You can create associations in bulk from the Ad Groups tab on the Campaigns page by selecting one or more ad groups you want to associate with remarketing lists and click on Edit>Associate with Remarketing lists.
When saving the associations, you have two options for Targeting Setting:
- Bid Only allows the ad group to serve ads to all searchers and if a bid adjustment is applied (see step 4 below) apply the updated bid for users in the remarketing lists. This is the most commonly used setting.
- Target and Bid configures the ad group to show ads ONLY to users in the remarketing list. This is the preferred option if the goal is to show customized ads to users in remarketing lists. Note that you can apply bid adjustments to associations created with Target and Bid option as well.
Note that you can also create associations (one ad group at a time) from the Audience tab as well. Click here to learn more.
4. Finally, all associations can be viewed and managed on the Audience tab in the campaigns page. You can set bid adjustments for each association via inline edit in the grid OR select multiple associations a use Edit> Change Bid Adjustment to set bid adjustments in bulk.
Note that you can view performance (impressions, clicks, Spend, CTR, Conversions, Revenue etc.) of your remarketing campaigns inline in the Audience tab on the campaigns page. We’ve also added a new Audience Performance report that you can execute and download from the Reports tab in Bing Ads UI. The report supports both drill down association level reporting as well as aggregate campaign, account and remarketing list level reporting. This report will be enabled for API users as well.
How Does It All Work?
The UET tag tracking code on your website reports user activity to Bing Ads. We match this user activity with your definitions for the remarketing lists and add users that performed matching actions to the relevant remarketing lists. A user may belong to multiple lists and one list can contain multiple users. When these users come back to search across the Yahoo Bing Network, Bing Ads will apply the campaign optimizations that you have made by associating the corresponding remarketing lists with ad groups. For more information, check out the Remarketing page here on the Bing Ads site.
Note that for privacy reasons, Bing Ads requires that your remarketing lists have at least 1000 users before the campaign optimizations can be applied to users in that list.
Connect With Us
We're always looking for feedback. As you try things out feel free to ping us on Twitter, suggest a feature on the Bing Ads Feature Suggestion Forum, or send us an email with your thoughts to: firstname.lastname@example.org.