Bing Ads Intelligence tool — training
Bing Ads Intelligence is a powerful keyword research and optimization tool that operates seamlessly in Microsoft Office Excel. Once installed, open Excel and you’ll see a new tab on the menu bar called Bing Ads Intelligence. Click the tab to start building your keyword lists and gauging keyword performance on the Yahoo Bing Network. Being able to view, select and bid on the best performing keywords makes this tool critical for maximizing your ad spend.
After reading this training, you will understand how to:
- Download Bing Ads Intelligence.
- Apply the keyword suggestion and keyword analysis features.
- Create customizable keyword research workflows.
- Download and use the keyword research templates.
Before you install the tool, be sure you have Office Excel 2007, 2010 or 2013 installed and closed, in addition to Microsoft Visual Studio Tools installed. Also, you must uninstall any previous versions of Bing Ads Add-in for Excel, or Bing Ads Intelligence. Next, sign in to your Bing Ads account and navigate to the tools, found in the right hand corner of the page. Under Application Downloads, click the Bing Ads Intelligence download link and follow the Install Wizard prompts.
Bing Ads Intelligence interface
Once installed, launch Excel and click the Bing Ads Intelligence tab. Across the top, you’ll notice a “ribbon” of buttons. This ribbon was designed to match a good workflow. On the far left is the Sign In button where you enter your Bing Ads credentials to get started. The functionality buttons are next, and last is the Refresh All button. The functionality buttons are where you do your work within the tool. They are organized into the following two groups:
- Keyword Research & Account.
- More Research Options.
Let’s take a closer look at these buttons and their functions.
Keyword research & account
These buttons help you build or expand keyword lists with additional relevant keywords. Newly generated keyword lists also provide related data on keyword traffic, historical performance and suggested bids. The three buttons in this group are:
- Select Campaign: Click to choose which campaign’s ad groups to import.
- Keyword Suggestions: Click to generate new keywords from seed keywords.
- Create Bulksheet: Click to create a .csv file from any open template or keyword suggestions worksheet.
With one click, the Keyword Suggestions button creates large keyword lists from one or several seed keywords. The fastest and easiest way to use this button is to select a keyword(s) from your Account Keywords worksheet, and simply click the button. Bing Ads Intelligence generates a Keyword Suggestions worksheet containing a long list of similar search terms, as well as the data (impressions, clicks, CPC, etc.) related to those terms.
You can gain more control over generating suggested keywords by clicking customize in the Keyword Suggestions drop-down menu. With customize, you can select specific seed keywords, filter how lists are generated, and most importantly, choose the keyword de-dupe option exclude my duplicate account keywords.
More research options
The buttons in this group let you dig deeper into your lists by providing important data, such as historical traffic, historical performance, geography and demographics. Learning how to navigate these buttons and employ their data output is the foundation for effectively using Bing Ads Intelligence. Let’s look at what each button does.
- Traffic: Reveals daily, weekly and monthly search query counts for each selected keyword.
- Keyword Performance: Presents historical performance data for the specified keywords, including clicks, impressions and costs.
- More Research Options:
- Webpage keywords: Generates keywords from a website that you specify.
- Keyword expansions: Generates compound keywords from a core keyword.
- Searches with your keyword: Generates a list of search queries containing your keyword.
- Associated keywords: Generates new keywords based on other advertisers' bidding behavior.
- Related searches: Creates a list of search queries based on the Bing Related Search results.
- Keyword categories: Displays a list of business categories for specified keywords.
- Search-user location: Generates a list of locations (within a country, state/province or city) with the most searches on specified keywords.
- Age group & gender: Generates age group and gender percentages over the last 30 days.
- Bid estimation: Displays bid suggestions and estimated performance data for selected keywords.
- Keyword Research Templates: Opens pre-generated keyword research ideas in the form of dashboard spreadsheets.
Templates are pre-generated keyword research ideas in the form of dashboard spreadsheets. They allow you to quickly research keywords using a best practice.
Accessing these templates is easy. Click Keyword Research Templates to open the Template panel. Scroll to the desired template, and click to open.
Most templates contain instructions, but in general, they are easy to use. You enter information into highlighted cells and click on the refresh all button.
Templates are powerful and flexible. You can extend existing templates with additional Bing Ads Intelligence and Excel features, or create custom templates based on your own unique workflow. Templates can be saved and shared with colleagues, or even shared with the Bing Ads Intelligence user community. To submit custom templates, email email@example.com.
Create a template
Bing Ads Intelligence lets you choose where to display results in your workbooks. In addition, you can manipulate data with favorite Excel features, like pivot tables, filters, sorts and graphs.
SummaryBing Ads Intelligence is a powerful keyword research tool that helps you build, expand and research keyword lists in Excel.
Bing Ads Intelligence helps you:
- Build lists of relevant keywords with query data from the Yahoo Bing Network.
- Increase your ROI by identifying affordable keywords with high performance potential.
- Discover competitive bids that can help increase traffic.
- Create customizable keyword research templates that let you analyze data for your business.
Top Tip: When learning how to use the Bing Ads Intelligence tool, keep in mind that the tool ribbon across the top was designed to parallel an optimal work flow.
Please note all features in this training may not be available in your market.