Adult content guidelines
Advertising for adult content is disallowed, except for advertisers that have been accepted into the Adult Advertising Program. The following markets support the Adult Advertising Program: Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, United Kingdom, and United States. For details on the Adult Advertising Program in Taiwan, please refer to the Taiwan policy.
Microsoft classifies advertising as adult content if the target website features sexually explicit content, including but not limited to:
- Dating sites with the clear intent for sexual encounters, where the website content features graphic images on the landing page, or the language is graphic or explicit in nature
- Sites that promote porn stars and their personal brand
- Sites where sex toys are the prominent feature of the site
Disallowed adult content
For all advertisers, including participants in the Adult Advertising Program, advertising may not include keyword variations, ads, or websites that relate in any way to illegal, non-consensual, denigrating, obscene, or violent activity, including bestiality, brutality, torture, death, illegal drug use, cruelty, prostitution, pedophilia, rape, incest, extreme or shocking sex, child pornography, strippers/strip clubs, escorts, or content that relates to persons who are, or are suggested to be, under the legal age permitted in applicable jurisdictions.
Adult advertising participation
Advertisers must apply to participate in the Adult Advertising Program, and agree to the Terms & Conditions. Additional content restrictions may apply. Adult ads may not be distributed through all of the advertising distribution options and may appear only in text search ads. If you would like to apply, please contact Customer Support. Your application may be considered separately for each country that you want to display ads in.
As a participant in the program:
- You are responsible for all content that is related to or accessible within your site, including but not limited to links, text, audio, visual, or image content, as well as content linked to from the site even if it is provided by a third party.
- You must comply with all applicable industry regulations, standards of practice, and legal requirements, including but not limited to those concerning age verification of models featured on the site.
- You agree to give Microsoft immediate, unrestricted and unconditional access to all sites that are associated with adult ads, at no charge, in cases where we need to investigate compliance of such sites with our Editorial Policies.
Adult advertising guidelines
The following guidelines are provided for advisory purposes only. At its sole discretion and at any time, Microsoft reserves the right to define and amend what is considered adult content, amend the published adult policy, restrict the presence of adult content across the network, and disable the use of adult keywords.
- Keywords that are associated with adult advertising content must be solely “adult” keywords; that is, a search user would enter the keyword into the search box only to view links to sexually explicit content.
- You may not use keywords that are non-adult or ambiguous; that is, words that may be relevant to both an adult search results category and a non-adult search results category are not allowed.
- Ads for sites that contain sexually explicit content must contain language that clearly indicates that the site contains sexually explicit content. Space permitting, ads must indicate that the landing page is for ages 18+ or for adults only.
- Sites that do not feature sexually explicit content on the landing page or as a dominant theme on the website, but that link to adult content, must employ a “bridge page” warning users that adult content will be found when the link is clicked.
- Sites that feature adult images must include an age disclaimer on their site and all models must have the appearance of being 18 years or older.
- Examples of acceptable age disclaimers include but are not limited to 18 U.S.C. section 2257 Compliance Notice and 18 U.S.C. 2257 record Keeping Requirements Compliance Statement for the U.S. This disclaimer must indicate that all models are 18 years or older and link to the Custodian of Records page.
- Ads, keywords, landing pages, and website content must comply with all other Editorial Guidelines.