Digital marketers rely on conversion tracking to help us understand how each of our ad campaigns are performing and how they are contributing to our overall marketing and business goals. To ensure useful reporting and actionable insights, accurate conversion tracking is vital.
Last fall, Apple debuted a feature called Intelligent Tracking Prevention
. It restricted access to cookies after 24 hours and because this impacted the way some conversions could be tracked on Safari, we published the steps advertisers would need to take to maintain accurate conversion tracking across Safari. Apple has recently updated this feature
to further restrict all third party cookies, and if you haven’t yet completed all the required steps, virtually all conversions tracked on Safari will be impacted.
As such we’d like to reiterate the required steps to ensure accurate conversion tracking across your campaigns.
What are the steps to ensure accurate conversion tracking across all browsers?
- Enable auto-tagging of Microsoft Click ID, and ensure the MSCLKID parameter is passed thru any redirection trackers to the final landing page.
The “Auto-tagging of Click ID” box needs to be selected within the URL options of the Shared Library for each of your accounts.
- Add the UET tag to all of your webpages, especially to your ad landing pages where the Microsoft Click ID will be automatically captured from the URL and stored in a first party cookie.
How do I validate my UET tag is setup correctly across your website?
Once you’ve completed the above steps, you can use the UET Tag Helper
to help validate your UET tag is setup correctly across your website.
- Add the UET Tag Helper to your Chrome browser and turn the extension on.
- Go to Bing.com and search for and click on your own search ad.
- On the landing page you can see detailed information about your UET tag, including whether is it set up correctly or if there are actions needed.
If you miss any of the above steps or don’t complete it correctly, you may see errors. See the help page
for more info.
Questions or comments?
Feel free to visit the Help section
of Bing Ads for additional resources on conversion tracking. And we welcome any feedback or comments you may have to help us improve the conversion tracking experience. Please submit your ideas through the Feature Suggestion Forum
or share them on the Twitter